Friday, July 11, 2008

7/10 Roundup and News

Baek Cha-seung lost his last start and the Joongang daily covered it from all angles.

My face feels 8 feet thick. You lock about 100 Korean elementary school teachers, administrators and one foreign teacher in a restaurant for 3 hours and things get out of hand. Only one guy puked. It was the "maintenence guy"/drunken ajeosshi. I was surprised he was invited. During the ride back from Pohang I distinctly remember pretending to fall asleep while my principal kicked me to wake me up. He wanted me to drink more. I knew if I drank more, I would probably yack. I'd rather fake sleep than be known as the guy who spewed all over his principal. I just re-signed with the school. Having a rep like that would make for a long year.

Either way, here's the action I missed while having fun in Pohang. My head is killing me.

Doosan 4, LG 0
W - Lee Won-jae (3-4), L - Chris Oxspring (8-5)

Game Ball: Doosan 2nd baseman, Ko Yong-min. Ko went 1-3 with a double, 2 RBI and a run scored. He figured prominently in both of Doosan's first two runs scored. He recorded an RBI groundout for Doosan's first run and turned an RBI single into an RBI double thanks to a little hustle in the 5th.

Lotte 1, Woori 0
W - Jang Won-joon (7-6), L - Ma Il-yeong (8-5)

Game Ball: Both starting pitchers. We had dueling complete games last night! Both starters went the full nine. Jang Won joon threw 114 pitches(74 strikes) during his shutout of the Heroes. He only allowed 6 hits and 2 walks while striking out 6. It took Woori's Ma Il-yeong 111 pitches(78 strikes) to go the full nine. Ma allowed 1 run on 5 hits with 6 K's. Lotte slugger Lee Dae-ho lead off the 2nd inning with a double. Two batters later, Lotte DH, Jeong Bo-myeong drove Lee in with another double. The RBI double proved to be all the offense Lotte needed last night.

Samsung 6, SK 2
W - Bae Yong-su (5-5), L - Kenny Ray (1-2)

Game Ball: I'm going with my favorite player in the KBO, Mr. Park Han-yi. The Samsung centerfielder/lead off hitter was the catalyst for the Samsung offense last night. It felt like he was on base all night. He finished the night 2-4 with a walk, a double, a stolen base and 2 runs scored.

Hanhwa 2, LG 0
W - Ryu Hyeon-jin (9-5), L - Lee Beom-seok(5-6), S - Brad Thomas (20)

Game Ball: Hanhwa ace, Ryu Hyeon-jin. He dominated the Twins for 8 shutout innings(107 pitches, 72 strikes) last night. He allowed all of 5 hits and 2 walks while striking out 7 Twins. Ryu didn't get any help from the Eagles offense until the 7th inning when Hanhwa struck for a 2-run rally. With 1 out in the top of the 7th, Hanhwa 3rd baseman, Lee Beom-ho, reached on an error by KIA shortstop, Kim Seon-bin. Kim lost an infield pop up in the lights(moon?). Then, Hanhwa's Song Kwang-min slapped a base hit into leftfield. Doug Clark loaded the bases with another base hit to left. The next batter, Shin Kyeong-heon, grounded into a fielder's choice to drive in Lee and make the 2nd out of the inning. Finally, Lee Dong-ho hit a hot grounder that ate up KIA third baseman, Lee Hyeon-gon and scored Song for Hanhwa's 2nd run.

This game did have a scary moment in the 5th. Hanhwa slugger, Kim Tae-won, had a Lee Beom-seok pitch deflect off his jaw. Kim left the game, but appeared to be okay and was walking around while a large welt formed on his chin.

No comments: