Monday, December 22, 2008

Finally Some Good News! Samsung Signs 2 Foreign Pitchers

I'm sorry that this blog has been so Samsung-centric lately, but they've been making a lot of the news these days. I had to discuss the "trade", gambling scandal and Shim Jeong-soo's retirement. I promise, to the 4 people that actually read this blog, that I will make an effort to cover the rest of the KBO...as soon as another team actually does something.

That being said, I'd like to welcome Runelvys Hernandez to Korea. Last season, Hernandez posted mediocre numbers at AAA and was a human pinata in his 4 starts with the big club. I always thought he had a decent arm, but walks and homers always doomed him. I remember watching Runelvys pitch reasonably well as a rookie. I believe he had a fastball, a curve in the dirt and a beanball. At some point he added, "rubbing the ball into his glove" to his reportoire.


Joining Hernandez in Daegu next year will be Francisco Cruceta. Last year, Francisco was also very mediocre in AAA and got slapped around pretty good in his brief stop with the Tigers.

Both will likely be starting pitchers. Assuming Runelvys is healthy, he could be the Opening Day starter for the Lions.

3 comments:

Mike said...

still waiting to see who else the Hanwha Eagles will sign in the off-season.

Brandon Heikoop said...

Cruceta has electric stuff and it will be interesting to see how the hitters and umpires (read-strike zones) affect his numbers.

KCSportsPodcast.com said...

We called him Fat Elvis in KC. He'll give you 10 quality starts, than he tanks or goes on the DL (see rookie season). I hope I can make it back to Korea before he hits the DL.