Sunday, March 22, 2009

This World Baseball, Just Got A Little More Classic! Korea 10, Venezuela 2


"Korea advances in the WBC!"

Wow.

I thought this one would be A LOT closer. Then, I realized Carlos Silva was starting for Venezuela. Unless he's in a Twins uni and playing against the White Sox, Carlos Silva is awful. Carlos didn't disappoint me. He didn't get much help in the field. Venezuela committed 3 errors during his, erm, "outing" and 5 in total. The 5 errors is a WBC record. Congratulations! Silva stuck around long enough to allow 7 runs( 6 earned) on 6 hits and one walk. Only 4 of the hits stayed in the park.



Yoon Seok-min pitched his guts out. Yoon tossed 6 1/3 strong innings. He allowed both Venezuela runs on 7 hits and 1 walk. He added 4 K's. 12 of the 19 outs he recorder came via the ground ball.


At the plate for Korea, Choo Shin-soo finally showed up. Big League Choo clubbed a 3-run bomb in the first inning. His homer gave Korea a 5-0 advantage. He added 2 walks and 1 HBP(again!) to his total. In the 2nd inning, Kim Tae-gyun added another homer to his total. KBO batting champ Kim Hyeon-su finished the game 3-3 with a double, an RBI, 2 runs scored and a walk. Whenever the Venezuelans made a mistake, the Koreans made them pay. The Venezuelans made a lot of mistakes.


Korea is on to the finals! Now, they get to watch tomorrow's(today's?) Japan/USA game to find out exactly who they'll face. I'm secretly terrified of a match up against the USA. IF the Koreans play the USA and IF the US team wins, I just hope there is exactly 0 controversy. I don't want more incidents like this. I'm sure my fears are completely unfounded, but I'd be lying if I said I haven't been privately dreading this.

2 comments:

Dave MacCannell said...

I was a bit worried about the possible US/Korea final too. But I'm not sure Korea/Japan will be viewed as any less of a political, social, and historical event than US/Korea would have been. At least not by Koreans. I'll certainly be surprised if there is ANYONE who takes the opportunity to view it as a chance to bring historically opposed countries closer together. Ha ha ha. Just typing that! AAAH HA ha ha. Oigu!
I've been saying, and blogging, that Yoon Suk Min is the best Korea has to offer. I saw him all last season routinely get taken out with a lead and NO sign of fatigue only to have a crappy bull pen lose the game for him. I don't think he pitched his guts out. I don't even think he had his best stuff on the day of the game. And STILL it was a good performance against a star-studded batting line-up. I'm happy in a way that he gave up some hits and runs because I don't want the Japanese league or the majors to scoop him up. I'm gonna watch him win 25 games this season for the Kia Tigers. Well, okay, maybe only 20. You watch.

Anonymous said...

Yoon Suk Min is the BEST~!!! He and Lee Yong Gyu is my hope for our 10th championship!!! Go Tigers~!!!