Tuesday, June 16, 2009

6/12 - 6/14 Weekend Roundup: Lotte vs. Seoul Heroes

I suppose I can write about this now.

Before the season started I made a series of 3 bets with Aaron at the EWC. The first one was Lotte wins vs. Samsung wins. Aaron bullied me into taking Samsung. I haven't had any faith in this Lions team, but in the spirit of fun, I agreed. The other bets, if I remember correctly, were Choo Shin-soo homers vs. Kim Tae-gyun homers. I have Choo. And Cubs wins vs. White Sox losses as a tie breaker. Choo has quite a lead in homers on Kim and my beloved White Sox aren't letting me down. Well, actually, they ARE letting me down, but this time they're helping me win a bet. I mention this now because on Friday I received a text from Aaron which proudly stated, "the bet is back on!" referring to Friday night's W. Samsung is sitting at 28 W's and Lotte has a pathetic 26. I still have no faith in this Samsung team. They have the makings of a .500 ball club at best. Lotte could be much worse than .500, but they've got some upside. Aaron seems to think Jeong Su-geun is going to help. I don't think he's going to help unless he can pitch every 5th day.

Meanwhile the backlash against Jeong has already started.

6/12 - Lotte 13, Heroes 9
6/13 - Heroes 7, Lotte 0
6/14 - Heroes 15, Lotte 5

The mighty Giants offense woke up against Heroes starter Kim Su-kyeong and reliever Jang Hyo-hoon. Lotte corner infielder Lee Dae-ho went 2-4 with a double, 5 RBIs and 1 run scored. Center fielder Lee In-guh finished 3-4 with a double and 4 RBIs. The cruddy Lotte pitching staff did their best to let the Heroes get back into the game, but the early offensive barrage was too much to overcome. Heroes DH Cliff Brumbaugh posted a solid effort in a losing cause. Big Cliff went 3-5 with a double, a homer, 2 RBIs and 3 runs scored.

The Heroes looked a lot more respectable when they have a starting pitcher make it out of the first inning. Heroes starting pitcher Lee Hyeon-seung tossed 8 shutout innings(108 pitches, 69 strikes) on Saturday. Lee allowed only 3 hits and 2 walks while striking out 5. Former Lotte ace Son Min-han ate up a few innings, but was fairly hittable. In his 6 2/3 innings he allowed 10 hits and 3 walks. Heroes center fielder Lee Taek-geun did most of the damage against the Giants. Lee drove in 4 runs while going 2-4 with a double.

The Heroes continued to knock around Lotte pitching on Sunday. Heroes starter Jang Won-sam enjoyed the 15-run outburst and coasted to an easy W. Jang needed only 67 pitches(44 strikes) to throw 6 innings. He allowed 1 run on 5 hits and 2 walks while striking out 0. Cliff Brumbaugh and Lee Taek-geun enjoyed huge days. Big Cliff went 2-4 with 2 walks, a double, a homer, 2 RBIs and 4 runs scored. While Lee went 4-4 with 2 walks, 2 doubles, a homer, 2 RBIs and 4 runs scored. Heroes right fielder Song Ji-man also went off on Sunday. Song finished 5-6 with a homer, 4 RBIs and 2 runs scored.

No comments: