Sunday, August 2, 2009

Brandon Knight Interview

...and I'm (Simon) back from my little trek, firmly holding onto my re-acquired access to the Internet.

This Brandon Knight interview was done in English, translated to Korean, and translated back to English:

Interview: New Samsung Lions Pitcher: "Korean League's Strong (Powerful)"

New Samsung Lions starting pitcher Brandon Knight "feels proud to be playing" in the Korean Baseball Organization.


Knight arrived in Korea on the 29th (of August) and could be a variable in Samsung's chances for the rest of the season. Traveling to Gwangju on the 30th because of the 3 game series Samsung plays with the Kia Tigers there, Knight answered questions through a stadium intrepretor.


Knight pitched for the U.S. National team during last year's Beijing Olympics, notably starting against Team Korea, where he pitched 4.1 innings and giving up 6 runs. He pitched in 15 (U.S.) Major League games and has 1 win and an ERA of 8.62. His U.S. minor league record is 87 wins, 94 losses, and a 4.32 ERA. He also pitched professionally in Japan for 3 years from 2003.


Questions Below:


What are your feelings abut coming to Korea?


  • I pitched in Japan so Korea seems rather familiar than not. People have been polite and very respectful to me. And the other players on the team likewise.


How are you feeling health-wise right now? Did you have a chance to throw in the States before you came here?

 

  • Not perfect. Not 100%. I should be over the jet lag by the 31st. I could not throw the ball much in America. I threw the ball around for 10~15 minutes with the team on the 30th and I felt good about it.


Did you know about the Samsung Lions before you came here?


  • I learned a lot about Korean baseball when I was in Japan. I knew Samsung was competitive for several years. I was also good friends with John Gall, who pitched for Lotte. I learned a lot about Korean baseball and Samsung from him.


What do you remember before and after you pitched against Team Korea in the Olympics last year?


  • I did not have much information before I pitched, but I knew from the first World Baseball Classic that Korea had a strong team. I feel proud to be able to play here. People back in America think of Korean baseball as being very strong. When I told players back in America that I was going to pitch in Korea, they wished me well and told me that I was going to a place where they played strong baseball. I'd like to try hard and succeed here.


You have become a starting pitcher now. Goals?


  • There's only a 3rd of the season left but I'd like to help out the team every time I pitch.


Interview by Kim Na-hyun, Sports Chosun


http://news.naver.com/sports/index.nhn?category=baseball&ctg=news&mod=read&office_id=076&article_id=0001999256


Translated by Simon Kim

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Correction: Arrived in Korea on July 29th.

Simon said...

Thanks buddy! ^ ^