Monday, March 16, 2009

Korea 8, Mexico 2

Well, well, well. This was a very pleasant surprise.

I didn't have any afternoon classes, but I had to stay in the office. A small group of us watched the English broadcast on my computer. This game really wasn't very fan friendly. It was long, slow and dull. If we weren't playing a game of rummikub, we probably would have quit watching.
Ryu Hyeon-jin really struggled with command. It took him 65 pitches to throw 2 2/3 innings. Ryu allowed 2 runs on 5 hits and 1 walk with 3 K's. He didn't look nearly as sharp as he did against Japan or Taiwan. Jeong Hyeon-wook tossed 2 2/3 innings of scoreless relief. Kim Kwang-hyeon also came on to retire 2 batters. I'm assuming this outing was more to give Kim some confidence heading into his next start than it was to use him as a reliever. Yoon Seok-min struck out 3 during his 1 1/3 innings of relief work.

At the plate, Korea was able to turn Petco Park into a Homer Haven. Actually, I think the Mexican pitching had more to do with the homers than the ballpark did. I've been lead to believe that Petco is more of a pitcher's park. Lee Beom-ho got the party started with a solo homer in the 2nd. After tying the game at 2 in the 2nd inning, Kim Tae-gyun hit another solo shot to give the Korean side a 3-2 advantage. Ko Yeong-min added another solo shot in the 5th. Team Korea tacked on 4 insurance runs off a very mediocre Mexican bullpen.

After the shaky start from Ryu, Korea dominated the game. I hate to write this, but 8-2 makes this sound close.

The Korean victory coupled with Japan's shutout win over Cuba has set up a round one rematch. Yu Darvish will likely take the mound for the Japanese. I've got to think that Bong Jung-geun is going to get another crack at the Japanese. It was Bong's gutsy 5 1/3 shutout innings against Team Japan that helped them win the first round.



This is the worst acronym ever. They couldn't even come up with something for "O." How about "our?" I thought of that without even trying. Also, what does Barack Obama have to do with baseball. He is a big White Sox fan. Now, we all know that makes him really cool, but it has nothing to do with the WBC. How about coming up with one for Korea?



I've done my best to stay away from stuff like this(being a blog about baseball and not politics and all), but this is a little irritating. Nothing says "WBC" like a politically charged sign that no one outside of Korea knows anything about. I guarantee Charlie Steiner spent 20 minutes trying to figure out which one of the players was nicknamed "Dokdo."

2 comments:

Aaron said...

Wow. That's a pretty fucking lame Dokdo sign.

But I like the serial killer looking guy staring at the camera.

Dave MacCannell said...

Hahahahaha! The signs. They're everywhere! You will know the Koreans by their signs, grasshopper. Yeah I agree, baseball shouldn't be political. I don't even understand the national anthem before games. I've been saying that for years. Sing "Take Me Out To The Ballgame" in the 7th and be happy. Although I guess in Korea it'd be in the 6th and they might have to change some words. Buy me some soju and bundaegi, I don't care if my wife catches me with my girlfriend cheering the home team if they don't win it's a shame cuz it's il, ee, sam jin you're out at the old ball game. Hwai Teeng!